MLTA ACT News
MLTA ACT 2018 Committee, posted 24 March 2018Congratulations to committee members elected at the MLTA ACT Annual General Meeting on Thursday 22 March and welcome to new committee members. The updated list of committee members is now on MLTA Home page. As MLTA President Veronique Canellas advised in a broadcast email to members, we look forward to continuing the work of the association in promoting language learning and teaching in Canberra and surrounding regions.
ELLA survey, posted 24 March 2018The University of Melbourne is seeking Primary School teachers of Languages to complete an anonymous online survey about the Early Learning Languages Australia (ELLA) Program and the use of technology in the classroom.
The focus of the survey is twofold:
- to gain insight into teacher perceptions of possible benefits primary school students display having participated in an ELLA program at preschool
- to understand teacher perspectives on the possible inclusion of ELLA apps and related resources into the early years of primary school.
Note: If MLTAACT Inc. members are interested in participating then they are to contact Prof John Hajek directly and only engage in the project as members of the MLTAACT Inc. and not as employees of the ACT Education Directorate, CEO or AIS.
ANU seminar on L2 acquisition in Japanese, posted 21 March 2018There will be a seminar by Haruka Woods, PhD candidate, ANU College of Asian and the Pacific, as follows:
Title: Syntax-discourse interface on second language acquisition: Case of Japanese wa and ga'
3:30 pm, Tuesday, 27 March 2018
Venue: Engma Room (#5019, Coombs Bldg #9)
ANU Language Teaching Forum, posted 21 March 2018The first seminar in the ANU Language Teaching Forum's 2018 program of events will take place on Monday 26 March 2018, with a presentation by Nguyen Bui, PhD candidate, on Networked Professional Learning in Intercultural Language Education: Evidence of Impact.
The ANU Language Teaching Forum program for 2018 has seminars scheduled for 26 March, 23 April, 21 May, 25 June, 23 July, 27 August and 24 September, with a few of these dates still available for presentations.
MLTA AGM, posted 20 March 2018This is a reminder that the MLTA ACT Inc. Annual General Meeting is this Thursday 22nd of March 4:30pm start at Telopea Park School.
Please RSVP using this link: https://goo.gl/forms/aAMaS71uuqfhkjs03 (this is for catering purposes as well as to gauge interest in the different roles).
Come along to learn more about the running of the MLTA ACT Inc. and even perhaps consider joining the Executive Committee! It would be great to have representation from all languages in the members of the committee and to see some new faces helping run our vibrant association. You can nominate yourself or another member using the nomination form.
If you can’t make the meeting and would like to appoint a proxy, please use the proxy form to nominate yourself.
If you have any questions please let the Secretary know. Please note that you must be a financial member to join the committee so please make sure you have renewed your membership for this year.
Meet and Greet reminder, posted 27 February 2018This Thursday 1st of March is the Annual Meet and Greet Function, 5:00pm for a 5:30pm start, at The Loft at Duxton.
If you forgot to RSVP by the due date last Friday but you do plan on coming, please RSVP.
Please complete your membership renewal before Thursday, if you haven't done so yet, as that is when your 2017 membership lapses. If you aren’t sure if you have renewed yet please email MLTA ACT Secretary Annemarie Power, who can verify that for you.
AFMLTA News in Brief, February 2018, posted 23 February 2018, updated 24 February 2018 & 6 March 2018Refer to the February 2018 edition of AFMLTA News In Brief, and the previous news item, posted here 22 January and updated 8 February and 20 March, to see details and registration arrangements for the AFMLTA workshops to be held in Canberra at HBCTL:
- Friday 23 March – Ready?Set?Plan!
- Saturday 24 March – Ready?Set?Assess!
Italian Embassy announcement, posted 23 February 2018Contributi per cattedre di lingua italiana, borse e viaggi di studio e corsi di aggiornamento per docenti di italiano (Cap. 2619/3 - Cap. 2619/2), posted 23 February 2018 – applications close on 12 March 2018 for:
Contributions for teacher training courses (Cap. 2619/3). All applications should be signed and stamped. They should also be accompanied by:
- LETTER, signed by the head of the Institution, explaining the reasons for the request.
- INITIAL REPORT (Form D)
- FINAL REPORT (Form D2) for those institutions who received contributions in the last 5 years
Contributions for new or existing teaching positions, scolarships and study visits to Italy (Cap. 2619/2). All applications should be signed and stamped. They should also be accompanied by:
- LETTER signed by the head of the Institution, explaining the reasons for the request.
- APPLICATION FORM – Form A for teaching Positions / Form B for scolarships and study visits to Italy
- FINAL REPORT (Forms A2/ B2) for those institutions who received contributions in the last 5 years
Languages Education Information Stall at NMF, posted 17 February 2018There will be a Languages Education Information Stall at the National Multicultural Festival on Sunday 18 February. Stall organisers are the Canberra Academy of Languages, the ACT Bilingual Education Alliance and the Canberra Region Languages Forum.
Stall E6 will be located in Section E of the NMF footprint, on City Walk, near David Jones. See the NMF map. Look for a sign saying "Learning Languages Canberra".
Mother Tongue Multilingual Poetry, posted 17 February 2018Come to one - or all - of our multilingual poetry events at the National Multicultural Festival over 16-18 February 2018 in Canberra. Enjoy great food, drink, company, music and - of course - poetry!
- 5.00 - 5.45pm on Friday 16 February - Stage 4 - a showcase hosted by multilingual poets Asefeh Zeinalabedini and Anita Patel, with poetry in Hindi, Mandarin, Indonesian, Thai, Hungarian, Bengali, Polish, Persian and Malay
- 8.50 - 9.35pm on Saturday 17 February - Stage 7 - this showcase is hosted by multililngual poet Karina Palomita, with poetry in Uzbek/Turkic, Bengali, French, Indonesian, Serbian, Russian, Mongolian, and Spanish
- 12.00 midday on Sunday 18 February - Stage 4 - 'Homespun', a poem by four woman poets in six languages, exploring ideas about displacement, longing, belonging and home. If you haven't seen this, it is not to be missed!
Email email@example.com if you want any other information. And we'll see you there!
Mother Language Walk, posted 17 February 2018, updated 19 February 2018In 1999, UNESCO declared 21 February as International Mother Language Day, to be observed annually worldwide, promoting awareness of linguistic and cultural diversity and multilingualism. On Sunday 25 February, come and celebrate your family languages and the many other languages spoken in the ACT area by joining the 2018 Mother Languages Walk across Commonwealth Bridge in Canberra.
- When? 3 pm Sunday 25 February 2018 (please note the change of time from 10 am to 3 pm)
- Who? Anyone and everyone! Free event
- Where? Start: Under the flags, near the National Library in Canberra; End: near Stage 88 in Commonwealth Park (2 km walk)
Languages Forum Update, posted 12 February 2018See this link for the latest update from the Languages Forum of the ACT. Items in this edition (some are updates of items from the December edition):
- Promoting languages at the Multicultural Festival
- Mother tongue multilingual poetry at the National Multicultural Festival in 2018
- Language activities for children at the National Multicultural Festival in 2018
- Mother Language Walk Sunday 25 February 2018
- Raising Children in more than One Language Sunday 4 March
- Languages education in the discussion of the Future of Education in the ACT
- ANU Diploma of Languages discontinued
- Canberra Languages Network
- Motion in Federal Parliament on Monday 12 February 2018 to observe International Mother Langhuages Day (IMLD)
- This is a Voice exhibition at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney
- ACT Bilingual Education Alliance (ACTBEA).
Workshop with Gianfranco Conti, posted 29 January 2018, updated 8 & 16 February 2018A reminder and update from MLTA Executive Secretary Annemarie Power:
We have an excellent PL opportunity taking place soon on Saturday 17 February 2018. We are lucky to have internationally renowned educator Dr Gianfranco Conti returning to present on ‘Metacognition and Language Skills’. It is not necessary to have attended the 2017 workshop with Gianfranco and the topics will be different to those in last year's workshop.
The registrations close Thursday 15 February (extended from the 9th), so don’t forget to sign up. All who attended his workshop last year were very inspired by Dr Conti.
Details at a glance:
- Timing: 8:30am arrival and registration for a 9:00am start and 3:30pm finish
- Location: Hedley Beare Centre for Teaching and Learning in Stirling.
- Cost: $140 MLTA ACT Inc. members, $230 Non MLTA ACT Inc. members
- Registration: Trybooking.Com by Friday 15 February 2018 (this is an extended closing date).
Morning tea and lunch will be provided – please ensure you provide us with your dietary requirements when registering.
For further background on Dr Gianfranco Conti please see:
- His blog
- The Language Teacher Toolkit, the book he co-authored
- The language learning website he founded: Language Gym
- Consider joining the Facebook group he is an administrator and a founding member of: ‘Global Innovative Language Teachers’ (GILT)
- See also the event flier – please feel free to pass on to colleagues who are not MLTA ACT Inc. members or to print and display in your staffroom.
AFMLTA Ready Set ... workshops update, posted 22 January 2018, updated 8 February 2018The venue has now been confirmed for both AFMLTA Australian Curriculum Ready?Set?Plan! and Ready?Set?Assess! workshops, on Friday 23 March and Saturday 24 March 2018, from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm. These will be held at the Hedley Beare Centre for Teaching and Learning (HBCTL) on both days. These workshops are TQI accredited for five hours. Registration is via AFMLTA website at www.afmlta.asn.au/content/readysetassess.
Previous yearsMLTA ACT news items for previous years are available as pdf documents, listed below, commencing with the most recent year.
- MLTA ACT News – 2017
- MLTA ACT News – 2016
- MLTA ACT News – 2015
- MLTA ACT News – 2014
- MLTA ACT News – 2013
- MLTA ACT News – 2012
- MLTA ACT News – 2011
- MLTA ACT News – 2010
The MLTA ACT Works 4U!